This tutorial aims to present the UNIX environment and to provide the most basic commands to users with no or very little UNIX knowledge. The examples are taken from various fields of biology but have been chosen carefully to be easily accessible to a wide audience.
At the end of the course, participants are expected to be able to:
- Have some understanding on UNIX systems
- Navigate through the UNIX filesystem
- Execute and understand some UNIX process commands
- Correctly set file permissions
- Perform basic file management
- This tutorial is mandatory for the new users of the Vital-IT HPC cluster.
- Participants are encouraged to follow the course sections sequentially.
- Due to the diversity of computer systems, we will just assume that participants do have access to a terminal.
- The course content is sometimes an oversimplification of the Truth - yes, we know!
- For help, please contact your IT support - or a good friend!
With some content provided by Frédéric Schütz, Volker Flegel and Heinz Stockinger
Content integration by Grégoire Rossier and Vassilios Ioannidis
The views expressed in this information product are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics